Saturday, August 20, 2011

Estimated costs for university education in Swaziland

Nhlanhla is on a scholarship which should pay for accommodation and tuition fees, if the government pays that is.

In addition to this, I need to pay for:

food: in Swaziland, these costs have risen sharply
transport: the campus is in a rural location
books: these are expensive
mobile phone costs so he can keep in touch with me and the outside world
leisure: no student can be happy if he cannot relax

Estimated costs are R 2000 per month (about EUR 200). I have been getting only a very small amount of help from donations (EUR 500 in the past 12 months) and have to pay the difference myself, plus any sudden one-off expenses.

Nhlanhla has a bank account in Swaziland and from my experience is good at managing money and has for the past five years proven himself to be a hard worker.